Tuesday, December 11, 2007


My Dad sent this to me via email....a Holiday Questionnare! Do partake if you so choose...


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I find real joy in a beautifully wrapped gift. A gift bag is generally a cheat in my book...but that's okay. Sometimes we have to cheat!


2. Real tree or Artificial? Real! Though it isn't supported in our "reduce our carbon footprint plan," I could never live without the smell and authenticity of a real frazier fir. I am in fact okay with not having one this year, since we won't be here.


3. When do you put up the tree? Growing up, it was always the weekend after Thanksgiving- that Sunday- but it could be anywhere between then and Christmas...like the rest of the world.


4. When do you take the tree down? Last year, I believe it was February....ya. Why go to so much trouble not to enjoy it right?


5. Do you like egg nog? mmmmm.delicious.


6. Favorite gift received as a child? So many were favorites at the time, but now looking back, hmmm....my Dad's old guitar and lessons. I only regret that I didn't take better advantage.


7. Do you have a nativity scene? Not a really neat one of my own. I grew up with such interesting ones from Africa and so forth. I feel like so many are just super cheapo/tacky.


8. Hardest person to buy for? teenagers....my neice was the toughest this year.


9. Easiest person to buy for? I like that my Dad will appreciate anything useful and inexpensive.


10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail if I have the time...this year...outlook bad. E-mail won't happen either...So- Merry Christmas!!


11 .Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Lame Christmas decorations...ooh- and this re-gift which was an ornamental spotted dog scene...so strange...and I remember as a little girl, a cornshuck doll of a mama spanking a baby with a stick.


12. Favorite Christmas movie? It is a Wonderful Life.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Was I supposed to start yet? oops.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes, but only for those situations where it really makes sense...orobably.


16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? CLEAR! There's just something about the colored lights that makes it not Christmasy anymore...just so 80's or something!


17. Favorite Christmas song? River by Joni Mitchell


18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Well, generally I would say "home," but I am Oh so excited about Christmas in Brazil this year. I think it just depends on the year and the opportunities.


20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel....specifically Brian's "messy hair" angel.


21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? One on Christmas eve....p.j.'s, then the rest on Christmas morning.


22 . Most annoying thing about this time of year? TACKY things people put in their yards!!!!


23. Favorite ornament, theme or color? The most memorable ornament from my childhood was a wooden dragon that had wings which would flap then you pulled on the fishing line. It was so big when I was little. It just stood out.


24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Ham and pineapple casserole and all the other good stuff my mom makes.


25. What do you want for Christmas this year? Nothing. A trip to Brazil is enough. If I had to say something, it would be household NECESSITIES. I have gotten really frustrated in the last couple of years with all the waste that goes into Christmas buying. I hate when people feel obligated, but then it's just something that you put on a shelf and have to figure out what to do with later...why have we made this holiday such a devastating attack on the environment each year? ...Am I taking after you Ebenezer?


26. Who is most likely to respond to this? Sunday? You're just such a devoted blogger. Now I've put you up to it!


27. Who is least likely to respond to this? Brian

7 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

oh man the preassure. this is intense. i am not sure how to repsond though. do i go through everyone of them or do i do something in my own blog. if you go to the national christmas tree association it has a reall good article about real vs. artificial which is better for the environment. real christmas trees support farmers. there are a lot more awesome points, but you can check that out. not that it is bad to have artificial especially for those allergy people out there. but it is good to check out from the environmental stand point.

Becky Swann said...

Wow MC good job, I like hearing all your stuff I don't know what to comment on, but mostly, so cool that you are going to Brazil for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

MC I got one of these in my email.. and I thought.. this is soo neat for the Christmas season! I enjoyed reading yours!

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas in Brazil!

Heidi and Richard King said...

Oh, what good reading! I have to agree with most of it, except the ham and pinapple casserole. I am sure your mom makes it wonderfully, and maybe it would change my mind, but the only way I like pinapple is stand alone...I just haven't had a good experience with it mixed with anything. Awesome you are going to Brazil for Christmas. I went last year and would love to find out where you are going! Eu no follo Portuguese. Verdade...and thumbs up! - just some of my favorite things! Oh, and the Acai (frozen fruit almost like ice cream) they have at all the fruit stands is amazing! Eat as much as you can!

MC and Brian Phillips said...

We are going to Recife - right on the coast. I'm so excited! I'm pulling out my summer wardrobe which is weird being that it's Christmas.

Becky Swann said...

how was brazil????

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

Brazil!?! Hmmm maybe that's why I couldn't get hold of you on the phone? Oh I can't wait to hear about the trip!

Did I miss it on your blog...what prompted you guys to go to Brazil? What a great christmas gift and no you're not Ebenezer...christmas can get out of control...that being said, presents or no presents it's my most favorite holiday of all and I loved all of your responses to the questionnaire...Oh man, I was thinking about giving Jason a spotted dog scene ornament...whew, good thing I didn't!

Miss you two! (oops, three, sorry Dexter)